Monday, August 31, 2009

If you're looking for a dog, read this first

I think I'm a dog-aholic. Or maybe just a pet-aholic. I can't help it. I see a little green poster with black permanent marker writing on it that announces: "Free Kittens: to a good home!" and I cave in. Or I go to a pet store and think "$5,000 for that cute thing?! That's a deal!" Michael has gotten extremely sick of coming home from work to meet the new addition to our household.

The sad thing about my condition is I'm not a pet keeper. I fall in love, buy a pet, get sick of the pet and re-sell it two weeks later. (If I were smart enough I could turn it into a business and earn a profit!) Michael has wised up to this strange obsessive disease of mine and has grounded me from buying animals of any variety. If he were smart, he'd ground me from pet stores and the Thrifty Nickel.

But I'm starting to learn some tricks about finding the perfect dog for you. Here are some things to look out for in ads for dogs:

  • The term "Friendly" actually means the dog jumps up on people and gets excitable in public settings.


  • "Energetic" means hyper and disastrous.


  • "To a loving home" usually refers to the fact that the animal was never house-trained.


  • "Can't keep because of allergies" is an all-out lie and is code for "get this dog out of here before I kill it!" another thing to look out for is the word "Free." In this economy, anything that's free has a reason for it.



That cat was a BAD experience. Demon Banshee Cat.

3 comments:

  1. Funny I'm a pet-aholic too, but I think I'm the only one in the family that doesn't have the gene that makes me want to get rid of the pet. I would never get rid of our cat, I mean, sure I complain about it, but I still wouldn't get rid of it. I can't wait until we can get a dog too. Sandin says we have to wait until the baby is five. I think what he really means is we have to wait until we can afford to feed the poor animal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't want to get rid of Pheobe. It was forced upon me. I think that's why I'm always looking for a replacement. Wasn't she just the world's best dog?

    ReplyDelete