Friday, September 4, 2009

Explanation

Some of you might be wondering where I got the title of my blog. I know it sounds philosophical and intelligent, but it's not. Sorry. And some of you had such high hopes for me.

No, actually it dates back long ago back to when Michael and I were dating (Almost six years ago now, can you believe it?!). Michael and I had been dating for about 2 and 1/2 weeks, and I decided to introduce him to my family. As many of you know, that's quite a task considering that I have eight brothers and sisters older than me; most who were married and had multiple children. I thought I'd get it all over with at once and give Michael a bit of a trial by fire. So I invited him to Thanksgiving Dinner.

While we were waiting for Michael to arrive, my mom starting teasing me about how serious I was getting with him so fast. (She gave me so many marriage prep talks that weekend it wasn't even funny. I think I was getting serious with him so quickly because she kept making me think seriously about the relationship.) At one point of the conversation, she told me she was going to pull Michael aside sometime during the night and interview him to make sure he was worthy to marry me. I laughed and thought she was joking.

She wasn't joking.

As soon as Michael showed up, Mom gave me a job in the kitchen and disappeared somewhere with Michael. You can imagine that I was somewhat worried about this. I asked my sisters what they thought Mom was saying to him.

One of my sisters laughed and said, "Oh, she's probably giving him the sex talk a little early." I thought she was teasing, but just in case, I asked her what she meant by "a little early."

"Mom gives all the guys the sex talk after they propose." She stated matter-of-fact.

No way! I thought. Even if my mom really did give out the sex talk, which I couldn't really put past her, she wouldn't corner someone I was dating only a couple weeks.....would she?! My concerns deepened.

Michael and my mom eventually showed back up and I asked Michael what she told him.

"I'll tell you when you're older."

Famous last words. "No really," I pleaded.

"I can't tell you. She swore me to secrecy."

Blast. That really didn't soothe my nerves.

Michael didn't end up telling me what was going on for over a month! But on Christmas Eve, just before we parted, he whispered in my ear:

"Tomorrow You'll Be Older," and refused to say anything else. I got butterflies in my stomach so bad imagining all the things it might mean, and I didn't sleep particularly the greatest that night. But who does on Christmas Eve?

As it turns out, for Christmas that year (after much teasing about losing our Christmas to the Grinch) we found out that we were going to Disneyland. The "interview" that Mom gave to Michael the first time they met was to let him know so he wouldn't plan anything that week with me.

Just as an interesting fact: After my mom met Michael that weekend for Thanksgiving, she told me that he was "Too good to be true" and warned me to be careful. Now she is the first to admit he really is a gem. In fact, sometimes I think she only claims me as a daughter because I married him.

A special thanks to Jessie for the picture!

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome. this is one of my favorite pictures of you in a more serious setting. I still can't that one at the Mexican restaurant in Wellington.

    ReplyDelete