Friday, January 1, 2010

Sleep

At the creation of my blog I mentioned how I love philosophizing about the differences in girls and guys. Another mind-boggling difference between the sexes has been aroused by the gossipping of my sisters and I about our marriages. What is it about guys not being able to tell when they're falling asleep? There has been way too many experiences where I'm watching Michael's eyes droop and his head nod, but as soon as I ask him if he's falling asleep, he exclaims defensively, "No! I'm not falling asleep! I'm wide awake!" If I don't press him, he falls asleep within 30 seconds. Is it such a big deal for guys to admit that they're tired? I don't get it. Also, while we're on the subject, how is it possible for guys to fall asleep while talking? My journal is filled with hilarious things Michael has said when he falls asleep halfway through a sentence.

I would have a hard time falling asleep when some one's talking to me (Except for Katy, sorry again Katy!) and I could certainly never fall asleep when it was my mouth running! For that matter, I don't think I know any women who have fallen asleep while talking. Maybe we just find ourselves too fascinating.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like to admit I'm falling asleep either. I don't know why (just instinct). Even if someone calls me in the middle of the night, I try to act like I was already awake. And it can lead to trouble, as my first involuntary impulse on waking up is often to quickly SAY something, anything (I guess so no one will know I was asleep?) and I have done this (with disastrous results) when falling asleep in classes or meetings. Sorry to contradict your "difference between the sexes" theory :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have to contradict. Jenn did the whole "I'm not falling asleep" thing just yesterday. And not only does she fall asleep while talking, but she'll continue to talk in her sleep. But she will never admit these things. Why do women do that?

    ReplyDelete