Monday, January 25, 2010

Over-Protective Parent

Ever since Evelyn has hurt her mouth, I've been an extremely neurotic parent. I expect Evelyn to sit on a couch, covered with a blanket, quietly reading books and sipping V8 juice through a straw. That is the true way to recover from a boo-boo, is it not? But Evelyn defiantly insists there is nothing wrong with her, up until she bites the couch and spends the next half-hour bleeding and screaming her head off...or bonks her lip with on of the following: a) bouncy ball b)couch corner c) mommy's head d) carpet. This unavoidably happens every ten minutes or less because of how hyper she's being. I've spent my whole weekend chanting quietly to myself: "Must not kill first child....must not kill first child..." I'm afraid I'm not quite in the same league with Florence Nightengale. But perhaps there's some record somewhere of someone hearing her repeat softly: "Must not kill whiney soldier......"

2 comments:

  1. I think if Florence Nightengale had to deal constantly with her own two year old daughter she would have had to deal with that too. After all grown men with their legs missing are easier to take care of than an independent two year old. You're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing fine Pam. I know I'm not a parent yet, but I've learned so much from being an Aunt of a year and a half. Children are resilient and they love you no matter what. We can't be paranoid after an accident, and children will hardly ever do as they're told or what we think they'll do. That's the joy of being a child, driving our parents stark-crazy ^_^ You're a wonderful parent Pam, don't let anyone tell you different, especially yourself.

    ReplyDelete