Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fishy Fun!

   We finally did it. --And it lasted longer than a week! It has been a whole month since we got Evelyn her new pet. A Betta fish. Of course, her fish had to be blue.
   Now, our little fishy has a bit of an identity crisis. You see, in our home it is tradition to name fish after piratey things. "You may ask where this tradition got started. Well, I'll tell you: I don't know." But we've had fish named "Galleon," and "Doubloon," and one more named "Twitch." (???!!) Anyway, Michael and I debated which name would be better: Jolly Roger or LeChuck. We finally settled on LeChuck. But you see, Evelyn would have nothing to do with it. She has a more practical turn of mind. She insists the fish is named "Blue the Fish." Not only that, but it is a girl. Because we all agree that a fish wouldn't come when we call it, we decided that we can call the fish whatever we want. Evelyn always lets us know that the real name is "Blue" and the nickname is "LeChuck." 
 Here is our Blue LeChuck Fish:

"Can I have more Fish Food please? Please-oh-please-oh-please?!?!"
  The pathetic part of this story is (no, I didn't kill it!) we are all in love with our silly little fish. We stare at it during the dinner hour and make observative comments about his health and coloring and personality traits. "Doesn't LeChuck look splendid today?"  "He is such a lively fish!"  And Evelyn has to wish it a goodnight every evening.  Really, I don't think I have ever had such an interesting fish.


Evelyn has asked me more than once, "Mommy, you aren't going to cook Blue, are you?" I can't help but tease her about fattening him up. He LOVES food. He begs for it constantly and eats until he pukes and then he eats more.
Here is Evelyn's beautiful rendition of our fish, LeChuck. ;)

When I read this to Evelyn, of course her comment was, "His name is Blue the Fish!"

No comments:

Post a Comment